Old City Jail

As the city of Charleston was being laid out in 1680, this 4 acre lot was set aside for public use. A hospital, poor house, workhouse for runaway slaves, and jail were built here. This 4 story jail with an octagonal tower was constructed in 1802 and operated until 1939. In 1855, Charleston architects Barbot & Seyle added a rear octagonal wing, expansions to the main building and Romanesque Revival details. The 1886 earthquake badly damaged Charleston and the tower and top story of the main building were removed. Continue reading